That summer, I worked for the local lawn service company. Although I did not feel like I was living up to my potential, I was making good money as a 19-year-old kid. On top of my work as a technician, I was also making sales to people in the community. All of my friends were making minimum wage, while I was making close to $20 an hour from my efforts in sales and lawn service production. This was because almost every day I was the first person to show up to the office in the morning to collect my orders and the last one to return in the evening. I remember my boss was always so confused with my drive to work and make money, compared to the other men twice my age I was working with. The significance of this summer came from my development and growth as a young adult. It did not go my way, but I kept a positive attitude and made the most of every day and never complained to anyone but myself.
I remember one day I was in the work truck sitting at a red light and the air-conditioning went out, and I just started laughing. Here I am drenched in sweat driving around a work truck wearing work boots and jeans, while its 95 degrees outside in the middle of July. In a sick way, I used this as motivation to never have to do something like this again. The remainder of the summer, I never reported the broken AC in my designated work truck because I knew it would be a driving force in my journey to make something happen with my life. To this day, I still look back on this moment and think about how far I have come, and remember that burning desire I had inside of me.
I remember one day I was in the work truck sitting at a red light and the air-conditioning went out, and I just started laughing. Here I am drenched in sweat driving around a work truck wearing work boots and jeans, while its 95 degrees outside in the middle of July. In a sick way, I used this as motivation to never have to do something like this again. The remainder of the summer, I never reported the broken AC in my designated work truck because I knew it would be a driving force in my journey to make something happen with my life. To this day, I still look back on this moment and think about how far I have come, and remember that burning desire I had inside of me.
Great story.
ReplyDelete