Following my surgery, I advised the company I was supposed to intern with that I would not be able to participate due to a summer full of physical therapy and the commute to downtown Atlanta. This was hard because I knew that I had to come up with a new plan. A few days later, an insurance company spoke gave a presentation to my sales class about potential career opportunities. Luckily, I had a copy of my resume in my bag and gave it to the associate after the presentation. Three weeks later, I accepted a job with them as a summer intern handling car insurance claims. I was able to manage hours that would keep me full time, and still be able to complete my physical therapy. This was a significant moment that ties everything together in my college experience.
A few days after the presentation from the insurance company looking for claims adjusters, another insurance company spoke to my class. This time, the presentation revolved around business to business sales, as well as information about the company. The man giving the presentation was looking for someone that he could hire a year and a half in advance. The man carried himself in a way that reminded me of myself, so I was interested in every word he said. Wide-eyed sitting in the front row, I took notes and asked questions. After the presentation, everyone in class wanted to shake his hand and say thank you, which had to do with the large salary he had touched on. I made sure I was the last person he spoke with, so that I could get to know him better. He told me that working for his company was not easy, and that he needed the right guy. The company hires roughly 15-20 people a year nationwide, so it seemed like a long shot; but I knew I was the guy he needed.
I remember he talked about the importance of persistence. There were no directions on how to contact him, so I trusted my gut. After 6 months of phone calling, emailing, meeting, interviewing, personality evaluating, and shadowing, I was sent out of state for my final interview. I secured the position and will be moving across the country following graduation for 10 months of training.
In all, my experiences in college were tough but rewarding. I learned a lot about life, and how to respond to good and bad situations. The past 4 years have passed in the blink of an eye, but I plan to continue to take life one day at a time and make the most of every moment.
A few days after the presentation from the insurance company looking for claims adjusters, another insurance company spoke to my class. This time, the presentation revolved around business to business sales, as well as information about the company. The man giving the presentation was looking for someone that he could hire a year and a half in advance. The man carried himself in a way that reminded me of myself, so I was interested in every word he said. Wide-eyed sitting in the front row, I took notes and asked questions. After the presentation, everyone in class wanted to shake his hand and say thank you, which had to do with the large salary he had touched on. I made sure I was the last person he spoke with, so that I could get to know him better. He told me that working for his company was not easy, and that he needed the right guy. The company hires roughly 15-20 people a year nationwide, so it seemed like a long shot; but I knew I was the guy he needed.
I remember he talked about the importance of persistence. There were no directions on how to contact him, so I trusted my gut. After 6 months of phone calling, emailing, meeting, interviewing, personality evaluating, and shadowing, I was sent out of state for my final interview. I secured the position and will be moving across the country following graduation for 10 months of training.
In all, my experiences in college were tough but rewarding. I learned a lot about life, and how to respond to good and bad situations. The past 4 years have passed in the blink of an eye, but I plan to continue to take life one day at a time and make the most of every moment.
I can't wait to learn about this new phase of your life! If you continue your blogs, let me know!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your successful college career, and best of luck!