That second semester I did not skip a beat. I was the strongest guy on the team, in the best physical shape of my life. I was working hard in football and in the classroom with a 3.9 GPA. Everyday I worked as hard as I could to be the best version of myself. I felt unstoppable in every way possible. The only thing that could be better at this point in time was to have an internship lined up.
Around March I started creating a resume with the Reinhardt Career services. Soon, this resume would be added to 300 job applications for internships that summer. Out of the 300 counted applications I only had one company reach back out to me, which I attended 3 interviews for in Buckhead. I was on my high horse wearing a suit and tie that I borrowed from a friend, only to find out that the “internship” I was offered was being at the bottom of a pyramid scheme. I refused to get into something like this with people I did not trust, and ended up being a handy man for an engineering consulting company. My best friend, a civil engineering major, had been working there for 2 years and knew that the company needed somebody strong to help them with the tough work that had to be completed in the field.
Once again, I was working with my hands in the mud. I was making good money, and grateful for the opportunity to be working; however, I knew that I had more in me. Towards the end of the summer I started a conversation with a superior about maybe shadowing some of the people in the business development department and the man laughed at me and made a sarcastic remark. I had never felt so angry in my life and still think about this moment to this day. The summer did not go how I planned, but I grew as a person. I was building character and patience, while doing it with a smile. At the time i did not understand that this was actually happening, so I went into my junior year of college with a chip on my shoulder. The days of being a back up on the football field and in the working world were over, and somebody was going to have to kill me in order to stop me.
Around March I started creating a resume with the Reinhardt Career services. Soon, this resume would be added to 300 job applications for internships that summer. Out of the 300 counted applications I only had one company reach back out to me, which I attended 3 interviews for in Buckhead. I was on my high horse wearing a suit and tie that I borrowed from a friend, only to find out that the “internship” I was offered was being at the bottom of a pyramid scheme. I refused to get into something like this with people I did not trust, and ended up being a handy man for an engineering consulting company. My best friend, a civil engineering major, had been working there for 2 years and knew that the company needed somebody strong to help them with the tough work that had to be completed in the field.
Once again, I was working with my hands in the mud. I was making good money, and grateful for the opportunity to be working; however, I knew that I had more in me. Towards the end of the summer I started a conversation with a superior about maybe shadowing some of the people in the business development department and the man laughed at me and made a sarcastic remark. I had never felt so angry in my life and still think about this moment to this day. The summer did not go how I planned, but I grew as a person. I was building character and patience, while doing it with a smile. At the time i did not understand that this was actually happening, so I went into my junior year of college with a chip on my shoulder. The days of being a back up on the football field and in the working world were over, and somebody was going to have to kill me in order to stop me.
atta boy
ReplyDeleteNic J's Dad